Friday, October 24, 2003

Day of mourning

Last night while driving down the highway the engine on my car died. I coasted down my off ramp and once stopped I tried to start her up again, but there was no go. Got the thing towed to my garage and went to bed. This morning I asked the mechanic to take a look at her and see what he could do. He just called me back and told me that the timing belt blew and there was irreparable damage caused to the pistons/valves. He said that he was making the call for me, DNR. Well, for a car that I paid $200 for and have only put about another $450 in repairs into (not including standard maintenance and operating expenses) over a year and a half I'd say I got a deal. I drove to Boston a couple of times, Toronto a few also. Well, my 1991 Honda civic si (AKA black bitch) is dead. My mobility is now severely reduced. Back to relying on friends and public transportation again. Suburbia is tough without a vehicle. What to do, what to do. I will miss her.

"This existence of ours is as transient as autumn clouds. To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance. A lifetime is a flash of lightning in the sky. Rushing by like a torrent down a steep mountain." - Buddha

No comments: