Sunday, December 14, 2003

Paternal Sufferings

My father and I are very similar in many ways. He has always tried to play the peace maker role, to not rock the boat, to give selflessly and ask for nothing in return. The trouble with this approach to life is that you get lost in the process. Trying to please everyone means that occasionally you have to act against your own value system. That has not been a pleasant thing for him to have to swallow. This has not been a pleasant thing for me to watch him grin and bear. There is a time for conflict. There is a time for standing up for what you believe in. There is a time to bet the pleasant situation in the hopes of winning a real one. My father seems to be like Chamberlain and his tactics those of appeasement. Where was Churchill when I needed him?

No comments: