Tuesday, December 16, 2003

The Philosophers Disease!

I'm reading Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'm not sure if I should keep reading philosophical stuff like this. It is nice to know that I am not alone but I tend to build up this hope that there is some sort of answer in the book itself. I know there isn't, I know it is just meant to help me look within myself but I have this incurable hope that the truth is out there rather than in here. So I know that I should be meditating, but I'm still reading philosophy. I watched this movie on Eastern Religion and this English Philosopher was doing some investigative journalism in various parts of the Eastern Hemisphere and ended up at this Buddhist meditation retreat. He was allowed brief daily conversations with the head of the facility who would ask him little questions about one hand clapping and the difference between sickness and health. The philosopher always had a very cerebral response, even as his lack of sleep and other monastery imposed factors began to weigh heavily upon him. Eventually the head of the monastery told him loudly and firmly that he had The Philosophers Disease! So it would seem that I have the philosophers disease. Dis-ease. Yes. I still need to read the book though because I am thinking about giving it to my brother so he can understand what I am trying to do with my life. Then maybe he can explain it to me.

No comments: